Am I pregnant?
Do you think you might be pregnant? A missed period is a common sign but you may also be feeling sick, tired and perhaps a little unwell in general. For more on the symptoms, watch this video with a midwife explaining which symptoms are normal.
If you think you may be pregnant, the first thing to do is to find out whether you really are. A pregnancy test is the most reliable way to confirm you are pregnant.
When can I take a pregnancy test?
You can take a pregnancy test from the first day of your missed period. There are some tests that can also detect pregnancy before then, if you feel like you are already showing some symptoms.
If your periods are irregular, the earliest time you can do a test is 21 days (three weeks) from the last time you had unprotected sex.
Where can I get a test from?
You can have a pregnancy test at:
- Your local GP
- Buy a test from your local pharmacy or supermarket
- If you are aged 16 and over, you can also order a pregnancy test online
How to order online
Please follow the instructions below:
- Send an email to OldhamSH@hcrgcaregroup.com
- Add pregnancy test in the subject line of the email
- Include your mobile phone number
- Include your age
- Please state if you would like to collect the pregnancy test or have it delivered to your home.
What happens next?
- A member of the team will contact you to carry out a simple assessment before your order is dispatched.
- Orders will be delivered via second class mail within 3-5 working days
- Orders will be posted in discreet packaging, and you do not have to be in to receive your order.
- If you would like to collect your pregnancy test, kits should be ready to collect within 24hrs following the telephone call from the service.
Please note: If you contact us by email, your mobile telephone number will be sent via unsecure email. By using this service, you are agreeing to your telephone number to be transferred in this way.
You can also contact us on 0300 303 8565 and request a pregnancy test to be delivered to your home or to collect
- If you have had unprotected sex less than 5 days ago, please to find more information on how to access emergency contraception in Oldham, Bury and Rochdale
- If you are under 16 years old, please contact your local service on 0300 303 8565 to make an appointment.
- You can also ask for a test for free at your local sexual health clinic. Please call us on 0300 303 8565 to make an appointment.
- Alternatively, you can go to your GP surgery and most NHS walk-in centres.
It’s important to make an appointment to see a GP or midwife as soon as possible to ensure that you get the correct information and antenatal care that you need.
Help, I’m pregnant
If you’ve tested positive for pregnancy and don’t know what to do, try not to worry. Unplanned pregnancies happen and every woman has the right to decide for herself how to deal with that situation.
Patients in Oldham, Bury and Rochdale can self-refer for an abortion. Please click here for more information
Our nurses can also provide counselling and advice. Please contact 0300 303 8565
If you’re not using a regular method of contraception, you might consider doing so to protect yourself from an unintended pregnancy.
There are several methods of contraception that protect you for a long period, so you don’t have to think about them once they’re in place, or remember to use or take them every day or every time you have sex.
These methods include the: